Sunday, July 27, 2008

Going places...

As many has heard it, there's a beautiful Malay proverb that goes "Jauh perjalanan, Luas pengalaman". In my superficial way of translating it into English, it will be something like "as you go places, you'll understand more" I suppose. Please forgive me for doing it no justice.. :P

To be honest, in the beginning when I had the opportunity to learn the clever Malay proverbs, I find it very difficult to grasp as well as to put the 'chosen' wordings and the meaning side by side. For example, why do it says "Harapkan pagar, Pagar yang makan padi" when I have never seen a paddy field with fences surrounding it. Fighting against my ignorance, I remember how I just memorise most of these proverbs together with it 'stated' meaning just to ensure that I pass the BM test despite the fact that I find it hard to accept the relevance behind some of the quotes. But because I realised that my brain didn't work very well in memorising i.e. it will only stay in my brain for as long as the exam period.. I never keen in memorising. Because of that, I really need to understand and to be able to put it into use. Back to the "Jauh perjalanan, Luas pengalaman" quote, having had the experience of being at three different locations - Ib*m to Muadz*m Sh*h and then to Kl*ng, I didn't really 'felt' that my knowledge or experience has increased in any way.

It was not when I was 'blessed' with the chance to further my studies overseas and came back to my beloved country that I realised that indeed, the proverb do make sense. Being away to a foreign land makes you see things at a different angle.. different perspective... which broaden your horizon of thinking. And not just that, you would feel like you understand 'them' a little more just by living in their country.. or traveled and say "I was here" at their famous landmarks. I suppose one of the reasons behind it is because, when you are in a different country, you are out of your comfort zone. You are forced to mix with them, hence, exposing yourself to their different way of life.. the way they work, talk and think.

As a bonus, being far away from Malaysia, makes me cherish Malaysia even more. And because our great ancestors were very observant and intelligent, they manage to come up with another proverb that correspond to this feeling I have just described. Yup, it's "Hujan emas di negeri orang, Hujan batu di negeri sendiri. Lebih baik di negeri sendiri". If I had taken the proverb literally, I would have gone to 'that' place where 'gold' is abundance. Seriously... :P hohoho.. and again because I always wanted to understand the Malay proverb better, I recall the discussion I had with Yaby on this subject. As Yaby had put it when I asked "why don't they want 'hujan emas'?", Yaby answered "sebab emas ni kan conductor electric yang baik. So kalau hujan lepas tu ada kilat.. mati laa semua org. Pasal tu lebih baik hujan batu...". Yup.. I know.. I know... who could have seen that coming??? :P...

And so, because I realised that indeed "Jauh perjalanan, Luas pengalaman".. Yaby and I had made up our mind to let Insyirah do some travelling on her own. Yup! So that she could be more wiser than her Ummi and Ayah.


We've prepared a bag packed with some nappies, baby wipes.. some clothing and some cash to assist her in her adventure to explore the world.

Acah jer~~~ mana mungkin! ;)


**photo taken at Gold Coast.. 26 July 2008~~


17 comments:

Lan0stZz said...

comellllnye tak tahann!!!!

watie said...

very the comelesssttt!!!muuahsss

itot said...

hahaha!!!!! cayalah insyirah! selamber je travel sorang2! hahaha!!!!

elly wong said...

hehehe.. itu laa...
merangkak pun takleh lagi ada hati nak travel sorng2.. :P

from me to you said...

OMG...she is so cute....cute giler..giler pun tak cute mcm tu....hahhaha..apala i mengarut ni..tapi if i reallyt found a baby like her travelling alone...me so gona keep her...hahhahaha =D

wafaaaaaaaaa said...

alaaaaa comelnya. itu tunggu bas ke tunggu boifren? ooo... kicik2 dah ada boifren ye

elly wong said...

hehe.. ed dear, update from singapore takde ker? ;)

"aunty wafaa, i where got boyfren.. i was waiting for my bus. but before the bus arrived, ummi tak sampai hati nak let me get onto the bas lorrr...", insyirah said... <-- hehe, sekali lagi, mak dier memandai jawabkan on behalf of insyirah... :P

13may said...

fewitt!!!

pandai sungguh posing :D

angah said...

ee..cute btol..hehe..kalo angah terserempak dgn insyirah travel sorg2, angah bwk die balik umah :P
hehehe..bole kan kak elly..pastu br bgtau akak.haha..

elly wong said...

itu laa pasal.. kechik kechik sudah pandai.. nak buat camner kan. time ellywong kecik dulu, nak tangkap gambar susah. negatif dah laa mahal pastu kamera pulak kamera bagak tu yg hanya daddy tau guner. so takleh nak practice2... itu pasal skang ni tak pandai posing. hohohoho...

ye ker angah.. hohoho.. ok ok.. boleh laa.. boleh.. tapi itu pun kalau insyirah betul2 travel sorang2 laa kan... hehehe...

Anjas Asmara said...

Ni mesti kes lari dari umah ni...siap beg penuh ngan nappies..tue ikut boipren ler tu..kecik-kecik dah gatal..biaser nih..nak kena nih..hehehehe

elly wong said...

hihihi... cian insyirah.. insyirah nak jln2 kan.. bukan tunggu boipren kan... hohohoh

awin said...

cam beria2 bukan main, last2 cancelled ek, sian insyirah!tkpe2, wait till u get a scholarship, mesti u pegi jauh gk nnt, hehe

lydia said...

huhu...so cute...kecik2 dah pandai possing...muka dia mcm tgh fikir je nk ke manaa...hahahha...meh sini Insyirah travel ke rumah auntie lydia...hohoh

elly wong said...

"itu laa aunty awin.. nanti insyirah study hard yer.. :)", insyirah said...

itu bukan reti posing.. terposing tu lydia dear... hehehe... :P

nurul said...

hahahha... rasanya sumer orang sains memang jenis camni kot. diaorang kena paham dulu, baru bleh ingat all the quotes... hihih..

baru last week tanya my friend pasal' paku dulang, paku serpih, ngata orang, dia yg lebih".. pastu beria la dok tanya paku serpih ni paku camne? paku yg dah pecah ke? pastu tak pasal2 kena gelak... sabo je la...

n bila kita jalan jauh, u'll see things at different angles, this one korang akan rasa bila dah balik nanti especially pasal sikap rakyat mesia ni... tak reti nak beratur, suka berebut, huwaaaa... tensen!!

elly wong said...

kan... orang dulu2 ni pandai kan.. boleh come out dgn pepatah2 ni semua.

itu laa.. ada benda yg kite hope sgt2 kan org mesia ni ubah kan.. takper2.. insyaAllah generasi hafiy n insyirah nanti mesia dah lebey baik...

btw, how's baby nurul?